March 1, 2017
Security in the Cloud
When updating IT solutions, security is an immediate problem that comes to mind alongside cost and time.
In a previous post, we mentioned the outstanding security measures and procedures built into Azure. This week, we’re going to take a closer look at the security risks associated with public, private, and on-premises solutions. When building your IT solution, and working with Attunix you will be guided through the process of choosing between them.
With good security measures in place, the location of your data matters less than how you access it. This is where a knowledgeable partner, like Attunix, will help guide you through the process of securing networks, restricting access, and monitoring access.
Below we explore some of the risks and benefits associated with each of your cloud options!
Public Cloud Solutions
- Data is stored on a shared server and maintained by provider
- Network outages: Relies on access to internet in order for access to your data
- Difficult to see where the data resides
- Providers have a global view of threats and respond quickly
- Providers notify users of security breaches
- It’s cheap and flexible to set-up
- Can scale up or down as needed and pay accordingly
- No cost of ownership, maintenance or hardware upgrades – just operating cost
- Replicate servers and/or data in event of disaster recovery
Private Cloud Solution
- Data can be stored off prem, in a partitioned server owned by a host
- Existing security tools can be affected when data volume increases
- Meeting compliance requirements changes with two different regulatory environments
- Replicate servers and data in event of disaster recovery
- Local IT department acts as the service provider
- Everything is stored or managed “in-house”
- Direct control over maintenance windows and response times.
Hybrid / On-Prem Solutions
- Siloed data can’t be recovered in the event of hardware damage or corruption
- Employees can threaten security with malicious intent or misunderstanding
- May take time to notice security breaches, leaving you vulnerable
- Security is under your discretion, as are your employees
- Complete ownership of data and server
- Easier compliance with industry regulations
Take the time to examine your IT and understand if it meets the security standards that concern you right now. This step is the most important way to decide what you need from a cloud solution. If you need help, assessments are a great step towards identifying vulnerabilities, the best solutions, and migration-ready workloads.
Contact us for a personalized assessment to build a more secure IT future while leveraging the latest technology!